Saturday, July 05, 2003

Are we having fun yet?

So, here I am on a second attempt to create my first post, which is a misnomer since this is the third post. (The second post didn't have anything in it because the software tricked me)

Anyway, to explain the first post, it was one of those “learning experiences.” I spent about 20-30 minutes typing up this wonderfully witty welcome, clicked on one of the formatting tabs and, even
though I said “yes” when blogger asked me if I wanted to save it, my post went off into the internet equivalent of a paper shredder.

It went something like this:

So I'm at this Star Trek convention (something I LOVE to do) where one of the guests is Wil Wheaton. My first reaction upon seeing him on the guest list was, “Who the hell would want to go see Wesley Crusher?” But I attended his session anyway - I wasn't going to miss out on the photo-op.

Wil Wheaton is a witty, charming, funny man.
(I said that MUCH better the first time...)

You see Wil (Can I call you Wil?), since leaving TNG, has not only continued to be an actor but also become a writer. During his stage time he talked about Star Trek, he talked about Wesley Crusher, he answered some questions, and he read some selections from his book, Dancing Barefoot, and his upcoming book Just a Geek. Both books are stories culled from his web site, Wil Wheaton Dot Net. The longer he spoke, the more my opinion of Wil Wheaton was torn away from my opinion of Wesley Crusher.

Do yourself a favor and separate your perceptions of Wil Wheaton from his characters.

Why am I telling you this?

Because Wil Wheaton is responsible for me starting this endeavor.

I am about six years older than he is so I found it easy to relate to many of his experiences (except for the actor on a mega-hit money-making sci-fi television series thing). I found his writing style familiar and fun. I think Wil Wheaton and I could easily be good friends - providing I could convince the anti-self-preservationist voice in my head to stop shouting, “Say something!“ whenever I meet a celebrity or someone I admire which startles my brain into causing my mouth to say something super-intelligent like, “Duuuuuuuuhhh.”

So, why am I telling you this?

I have spent the last few days perusing Wil Wheaton Dot Net and reading his stories*. I occasionally write in a journal and enjoy telling stories. I think this will help me find a voice and I am going to try to incorporate his style.

More updates as they become available,
Uncle Bubby

*if you get a chance, pop over there and read some of his stuff.
Check out the Spongebob Vega$pants stories starting September, 2001 to find out about cons, fans, and his resolution of the Wil Wheaton/Wesley Crusher paradox

No comments: