Monday, August 11, 2003

Keep Truckin'

So, my sister keeps telling me that I need to update my blog. Honestly, I think she's the only one reading it regularly (if I'm wrong, please post something at the discussion board) but it's good exercise.

I told you not long ago that I was car shopping. I bought a brand new full-size Chevy extended-cab pickup a little over a week ago. The thing is freaking HUGE! I'm still trying to figure out how to park the damn thing. That being said, I love it!

In my decision-making process, I drove just about every type of SUV available in the state of Oklahoma. I drove models from Chevy, Buick, Mazda, Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda, Dodge, Nissan, Kia, Suzuki, Hyundai (yes... Hyundai), Isuzu, and probably a couple more that I can't remember. They all sucked in some way or another.

Some were too big for my wife (she literally couldn't get in them), others were too small for me (when my right knee pushes the button on the gear select lever, it's TOO small), and still many others were too... "soccer mom" (in my neice's words).

Then, my wife got to see her mom's Chevy Silverado pickup... and she liked it. She could get into it (BIG plus), it rode well, and she could probably drive it if necessary. My mind was aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought (apologies to Harvey Korman). I'd already decided I liked the Dakota, now I was going to get the chance to play with the big boys.

I finally got a chance to see her mom's truck... and they let me drive it... and I was impressed... and I went looking for one of my own.

The choice wasn't hard. I drove a Ford (BLECH!!!!), then a GMC. The GMC was SOOOOOO sweet. It was black with alll the little doo-dads... and it was $30K

I checked out the local Chevy dealer and his selection was limited to about a dozen trucks with more amenities than I wanted to pay for. I probably could have worked a deal with him but I decided to check out Knippenmier Chevrolet (that's cuh-nipple-meyer) where my in-laws had purchased their truck.

They literally had ACRES of trucks! They have so many trucks they have to have their own filing system for them (they number them on the windshield). I told the salesman what I was looking for and I laid out the terms I needed. He looked through an inventory sheet, found a model at the lower end of the price spectrum and commenced to cipherin' on the sheet of paper.

I bought the truck the next day.

No comments: