Thursday, April 22, 2004

Things are looking up...

... sort of.

On Monday, I started rebelling a bit and actually managed to get some of the work that I'm actually paid to do done. Not that I'm not paid to do the things they've had me doing over the past several weeks, I just haven't had much of a chance to to the work I was hired to do. Actually, that's a misnomer, too. I'm no longer doing the work I was "hired" to do - I'm doing something completely different, as is most everyone else in the IT division. Unless you boil it down to "computer support" then I'm doing the job I was hired to do - except for when I'm doing other things and don't have time to do the job I was hired to do...

Now do you see why I get headaches?

Anyway, my point was this... Some of the extra-curricular activities have been reassigned to other people who are in a better position to do them. This has given me time to get back to working trouble tickets that have been sitting in my queue for a month or more - seriously. I think I'm finally up to the "current" tickets (less than a week old).

But I think it all caught up to me today. I didn't really want to go to work this morning. I was tired, I had a headache, and an upset stomach. I went in anyway because of some misplaced sense of "responsiblity" because I was carrying the emergency notification phone. (I may have talked about that currsed piece of electronics before. When something goes wrong with the network, the person trying to fix it calls that phone and we (there are 5 of us who share the duty) post the information on our announcements site.) Yep - I dragged my ass into work because of a cell phone.

The only good thing about going in this morning was being able to hand the phone off to someone else when I left at 11 after getting fed up with my headache and feeling like I was going to toss my cookies every 20 minutes or so.