Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Healing Energy

I woke up this morning at my regular time. I was pretty groggy and didn't really want to move. It may have been the Ambien but why should today be any different. (side note: I'm going to try sleeping sans the Ambien tonight and save it for when I really need it).

Last night, I had debated whether I wanted to go to the gym this morning or later today. The lazy part of my brain said, "use your zoo trip as your exercise." but the rational part of my brain said, "Go in the morning. You probably won't get back in town until later and you'll be too tired to go then." In the end, the rational part was right.

The toughest part was getting going. I was motivated enough but part of my wake-up routine is showering. I skipped that in order to avoid taking two showers this morning so I was a little sloggy. At any rate, I made it to the gym with enough consciousness to locate the entrance and realize where I was and why I was there.

Today, I decided to do something a little different and skip the treadmill and try an elliptical trainer instead. That may have been a mistake, I'm not sure. The cardio thing was great. It's a lot easier to get your heart rate up on one of those things and you work more muscles harder in a shorter amount of time. I usually do 20 minutes on a treadmill but could only last about 18 on the elliptical. When I got done, my leg muscles were nice and tight. So, what's the problem? The stride is just a bit too short. It was difficult for me to build up a rhythm.

Anyway, I did some weight/strength training and came home. I took a shower and I feel great.

I'm about ready to head out the door and go to the zoo. I have my camera, plenty of floppies (film), a couple of PBJ sandwiches for later and a bottle of water.

If this trend keeps up, I think I'll be ready for work on Thursday. Y'all have a good week!

p.s. Kevin, you're going to start coming to the gym with me.

No comments: