Sunday, September 19, 2004

Feast Fit for a Knight

I stumbled around for the rest of the afternoon trying not to act like a lost puppy clinging to my friends Rafe and Sabine (Carl & Myria). I would probably have hung out with Owen (Eric) since he's technically the one who invited me but, as I noted earlier, he's busy. I desperately wanted to help or get involved but there just wasn't anything for me to do.

It may sound like I'm whining and complaining that I was bored to tears and kept wishing I was somewhere else. This is far from the truth. It was an excellent experience and it gave me some time to just... be. I got the opportunity to just sit for most of the afternoon, observe what was happening around me and not think about work or the real world for a few hours.

Eventually, I stopped by the bardic competition. They had five categories: Poetry, storytelling, song, musical instrument and other (i.e. juggling). As I approached, one of the people I know, Ivo Evo (I don't know how he spells it but it's pronounced eye-vo), was just getting called to tell a story. I went ahead and let the camera roll. When he came back to sit next to me he commented, "Not one of my best tellings." but I was entertained nonetheless.

After a couple of songs and a poem or two, I decided I wanted to get my equipment ready for court that evening. I was near the end of my current tape (I had shot more than I thought that day) and wanted my tripod. Besides, my butt was getting sore from sitting on a wooden picnic table.

Eventually, it neared time for feast and Sabine drafted Rafe and I to help set up. I was glad for something to do. We arranged the tables in the boy scouts' central hall and spread tablecloths on the head table and a couple of reserved tables. The serving staff made ready by donning... I'm not sure what they're called... they're basically a tabbard except the back flows into a cape instead of being the same length as the front.

In good time, plus an extra half hour at the whim of the king and queen, feast began. I had looked at the menu on the web site but still wasn't sure what to expect.

At first, they brought out a plate of fresh-baked bread and cheese. I sat quietly because Sabine, being the autocrat for the event (the event coordinator), was off doing autocratic things and Rafe was off checking on their son and I wasn't sure what medieval etiquette dictated that I do. Eventually, one of the two others sitting at our table said, "Dig in. Just grab what you want." Not recalling how much more was to come or when, I grabbed a slice of cheese and a small piece of bread.

Next was the salad. The salad was mixed greens with an oil-based dressing. Shortly after it was served, Rafe came back. By the time the deviled eggs were served, Sabine had decided to join us as well. The eggs were very good but the flavor was not as sharp as what I think of when I think of deviled eggs. It was then that I began to realize just how much crap we put on our food these days for flavoring. Notice, please, that I did not use the phrase, flavor enhancement.

In due time, we were served chicken. Pieces of honey-glazed chicken, about 1.5 oz each, were served in a bowl atop grapes and... I'm not sure... it was something that was ground up with a texture a little smaller than rice. I took a piece of chicken and some of the accompanying stuff. The chicken was excellent. It was lightly spiced and had just a hint of sweetness to it. The grapes were fantastic... they were honey-glazed as well.

Next, we were presented with a bowl of peas. I had some but, really, there's not much you can do with peas. They tasted like peas. I like peas.

More bread and sweet butter were brought to the table and the obligatory toasts to the king and queen and friends not present were made. A tray of pork roast and sweet potato slices arrived after that. The sweet potatoes were wonderful. I don't think I've ever had them not mashed with butter and a little salt. They taste just fine without all that junk. The pork was... the pork was okay. I'm not a pork person. I don't really care for the texture of the meat.

Following that, a bowl of cooked carrot slices and baked onions was brought to the table. We all tried the carrots and left the onions.

It was nearing the end and we were presented with a plate of stuffed mushroom caps. I grabbed hold of one of these almost as soon as the plate was put down. I love mushrooms and these were stuffed with what appeared to be feta or some other crumbly cheese and spices. Oh wow. These were unbelievable. I almost ate the whole plate myself because the 5-year-old who had joined us was the only other one eating them and she only took one... maybe two. I stopped short, not wanting to be rude or gluttonous, but I did have five or six of them before the meal was over.

Finally, a desert tray was server. Baked apple slices, fresh apple chunks, and tiny waffles. I was pretty full by then and only had some of the apples. I love cinnamon-baked apples.

With full bellies, the king declared the feast over and we all cleared our tables and went to make ready for court.

No comments: