Friday, October 15, 2004

Living with an A-type personality

When I say A-Type personality, I'm not talking about it in the normal sense. I'm not talking a highly motivated, hyperactive, ultra-competitive nutcase who is a heart attack waiting to happen. I'm talking about an accountant.

Me, I'm a G-type. The G stands for geek. G-types don't worry about money. Money is a means to an end. If we have some spare parts and/or equipment lying around that we have no plans or use for, we'll gladly let you have it and give you a chance to see if it fits your needs. If it does fit your needs, "we'll work something out." We tend to deal in easy numbers: $10, $20, $50, etc. $15 is an uncomfortable number. I mean, you can't achieve $15 in a single bill. Why bother? If it's worth more than $10, just round it up to $20.

Here's another example. If my G-type friend and I go out to lunch and one of us covers the other for a meal costing $5.89, it is expected that either the roles will be reversed next time (and it may only be $4.79 or it might be $6.32) or there will be a $5 bill exchanged. In any situation - we're even.

Not so with the A-type. To an A-type, money is something to be earned, saved, spent wisely and, most importantly, accounted for.

Recently, I took an Australia-bound backage and an overnight letter* to the post office for my wife. For this venture, she handed me a $20 bill (I'm very comfortable with this at this point). In the end, the postage came to $24.15.

Now, remember, $4.15 is an uncomfortable amount and, being that it's less that $5, is somewhat insignificant. If a G-type covers anything less than $5, the response to, "I'll pay you back" is almost always, "don't worry about it." (with the possible exception of a $3 cup of coffee) If, however, the situation arrises later that we come up a couple of dollars short on a purchase, we do expect you to step in and cover us if you're able. We don't hold it against you but we don't forget, either.

Anyway, back to the postage. Later that evening, my wife asks - as she always does - "Is there any change from the post office?"

"No. As a matter of fact, it was a little more than $20."

"How much?"

You know what's coming, don't you? - say it with me, "Don't worry about it."

And, now, for the A response, "How much more?"

I hunt for the receipt the post office lady gave me and report, "$24.15 but don't worry about it. Just consider it my contribution to the gift for our Australian friend."

At this point, the conversation is done... but I'm pretty sure this isn't over. Sure enough, later that evening, she reaches into her stash of "leftover allowance money" (where'd she get that? I never have any of that) and hands me $4. I take it with a sincere, "Thank you," and stuff it in my pocket. Then, I chuckle as she retrieves and hands me 15 cents. In loving playfulness, I say to her, "Oh, yes, I forgot. You accountants have to make sure your T accounts balance perfectly, don't you?" We both have a laugh and she explains to me that this way she won't feel like she owes me anything when our Australian friend pays her back for the package contents and shipping.

I laugh a little more on the inside and put my 15 cent windfall into my pocket next to 4 wadded up $1 bills.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*in case you're wondering, the overnight letter cost more to send to Oklahoma City than 2 CDs to Australia.

No comments: