Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Pressure

I’m into the second week of the new job and past the first day of school.  School isn’t too bad.  I thought my Mondays were going to be long days with a 4p–5:15p class followed by a 7p-10p class.  It turns out the 7–10 class is taught entirely online and doesn’t actually meet at a regular time.

Anyway, I was up a little late last night.  I met Kevin at the local IHOP – they have free wireless internet – and spent a couple of hours studying, conversating (that one’s for you, Kev), and drinking coffee.  I made it to bed about midnight, which may not seem terribly late but I’m not used to the midnight bedtime anymore.  So, today is kind of a sleepy, easy for things to get to me day.

The new office needs some improvement in its IT policies.  It’s not bad but there are a few items that don’t quite follow best practices and I know that I’m going to have to tell people that they have to do a few things differently as I go along.

One of the improvements we need to make is in our backup system and procedures.  I’ve been reading articles on the subject until my eyes bleed and I don’t feel like I’m much closer than I was a week ago.  All this leads me to start feeling like I need to be an expert in backup systems, system administration, system security, HIPAA and a whole host of other specialties that some people spend their entire lives studying.  Yes, the rational part of my mind says I don’t need to worry so much and keeps reminding me “the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.”  But the irrational part that made me stay up until midnight is a little overwhelmed and keeps telling me, “They’re paying you to be the technology expert.  They’re counting on you.”  The biggest problem is I’m not sure where to turn for some of this information – every company thinks they have the best solution – and there’s nobody else I work with that I can bounce technology ideas off.

Oh well, it will all look better in the morning.

No comments: