Monday, October 03, 2005

A Good Weekend

I’m back at work after a very good weekend.  My wife, as a birthday present to herself, purchased tickets to see Billy Joel’s Movin’ Out, a Broadway musical choreographed by Twyla Tharp.  The show was great, although it took me a while to figure out what was going on.  Let me explain.

Before the show, I had heard it described as, “Set to the music of Billy Joel, the show follows the lives of a group of friends over the course of two decades.”  That was it.

When we arrived, we were running a bit late and didn’t have time to look at the program.  The lights went out as we were half way down the steps to our seats.  The curtain goes up, the music starts and people start dancing.  I’m following along okay but it’s just going from one song to the next to the next to the next.  I was expecting dialogue.  There was none.  It caused me some confusion for a good portion of the first act.  That and being nervous at how high we were and being upset that I didn’t bring the binoculars that I always carry in the car (I often see deer around the house and around town).

Anyway, once intermission hit and we had a chance to look at the synopses of the two acts (and having calmed down about the height – I HATE theater balconies, too high and too steep), I was able to thoroughly enjoy the second act.  The music was more intense anyway.  Plus, seeing the interpretation of Goodnight Saigon was indescribable.  I have always had strong imagery with that song but it was really moving to see it acted out.  And man, can those people dance!

After the show, we grabbed a bite to eat (at Sonic) and went back to the hotel.  Yes, we booked a hotel for the evening to make it complete.  We reserved a room at the Oklahoma City Marriott on an Escape! Romance Package.  We were met by a bottle of chilled champagne and six chocolate-covered strawberries.  Plus, breakfast was included the next morning.

Yep, it was a good weekend.

No comments: