Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Es Ist Kaput - or - So Much For The Bonus

Last Thursday I was busy dirtying up the kitchen with candlemaking and other kitchen-like activities.  As I was waiting for a batch of candles to cool, I decided to load and run the dishwasher.  I filled it up with soap, closed the door and hit the button.  I heard the watter flowing inward then heard it switch cycles and begin to spray.

Within seconds, I heard a loud metalic clunk and all it would do was hum.  I checked and I had a nice reflecting pool in the bottom of the dishwasher but no movement on that pool.  Try as I might, I could not get it to continue through the cycles or even drain. (side note: if you’re looking for a siphon hose to drain the dishwasher with, don’t pussyfoot around – go straight to your local auto parts store.  They have them, nobody else does.)

I don’t know the first thing about dishwashers.  To me, I put the dirty dishes in, close the door, push some buttons and the dishes come out magically cleaned.  Okay, I know a little more about it than that.  I know that water is somehow involved.  Seriously, though, I have no idea how to do the least bit of troubleshooting – I don’t even know how to remove the kick panel.  On Friday afternoon, I called for help and scheduled an appointment for Tuesday afternoon.

Last night, the repairman arrived and, after examining the unit for a few moments, proceeded to remove the kick panel.  I now know that its removal involves a nut driver.  He reached under and attempted to turn the pump assembly by hand.  Failing that, he attempted the same with the aid of a tool.  The conversation went something like this.

Repair Guy (RG): – still attempting to turn the pump by hand – Yep, it’s frozen bigger than Dallas.

ME: That can’t be good.

RG: It’s not. (stands) Your pump assembly is siezed.

ME: And that means…?

RG: Buy a new dishwasher.

(awkward silence)

RG: Seriously, a new pump assembly is going to run you about $280.00 installed and you can get a brand new dishwasher for $350.00 with a warranty.

After that, I handed him a check for $50.00 (FIFTY BUCKS! For that!?) and he went on his merry way and we proceeded to head for Lowe’s.  I realize there probably isn’t much difference in dishwashers but the ones with the features we liked were $350–$500, plus the cost of installation (~$110), plus the cost of any extended warranty we might buy.  We’re going to check a couple of other places but Stillwater just doesn’t have that many choices.

There goes any chance for getting that iPod.

No comments: