Friday, October 27, 2006

Seven New Wonders of the World

I'm watching Good Morning America and they are talking about the seven new wonders of the world. After they teased it, I scoured the web and found a site where you can vote on the presumably official list to be announced next year. The list has been narrowed to 21 finalists. GMA and USA Today are announcing the result from a panel of "experts" who came up with seven wonders in seven hours. They haven't announced the list but, beginning Nov 9, GMA will be traveling to the selected destinations. They are, however, allowing viewers to vote on the 8th wonder, to be announced Nov 24.

The GMA/USA Today votable list: The Grand Canyon, Victoria Falls, Taj Mahal, Great Wall of China, Machu Picchu, Venice, Panama Canal, and the Saturn V Rocket.

Now, if you visit the list on the "official" site, you'll notice that one of the finalists is also on the 7 wonders of the ancient world list, the pyramids at Giza. That's problem number one. Problem number two, all of the seven ancient wonders are manmade structures (Great Pyramid of Giza, Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Temple of Artemis, Statue of Zeus at Olympia, Mausoleum of Maussollos, Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria) so why are the Grand Canyon and Victoria Falls on the GMA list?

This all got me to thinking. What would I put on my own list of seven wonders? I will think on this and reveal my list in a future post. Here are the criteria: 1. It cannot be on the list of ancient wonders. 2. It must be manmade. 3. I must think it's cool. I may also put together a list of natural wonders.

So, what would you put on your list? What manmade wonders should I consider and why?

No comments: