Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I Need a Name



I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of our family. I'd tell you her name but she hasn't got one yet. The attached picture isn't the best but I'll try to get a better one posted soon.

This sweet, young. tortoise shell kitty came by to say hello one evening sometime in early October. I walked up to her and, rather than running away like many stray cats will do, she came closer begging for attention. Being the soft heart that I am, I placed a small bowl of food out for her.

As the days went on, two things became obvious. First, she was a pet and not wild. Second, she was now on her own. I continued to feed her and she continued to visit on a daily basis (funny how that works out). I even asked a friend to leave food out for her while we were on vacation later that month. While on vacation, our friend called and advised that there were freeze warnings for the area and asked what he should do. I told him that we had a large cat carrier in the garage and he could set it out for her with some towels in the bottom for warmth.

As the weeks went on, I would usually see her as I left in the morning and later at night, usually curled up in the carrier. I would have brought her in but I didn't know if she was carrying some disease or other nasty that might affect our other animals. I started to worry a bit last week when it was predicted that we would have lows in the teens or single digits and several inches of snow. I had planned on asking my wife what we could do to help her but, before I ever got home, she'd already cleared out a space in the laundry room.

That's where the kitty has stayed, in quarantine, since last Wednesday. We had talked about taking her to the vet to get checked out and bringing her in but just didn't have the money. Now, thanks to the generosity of my sister, the kitty has been to the vet and, with the exception of some common intestinal parasites (which she's been treated for), has been given a clean bill of health.

Now it's your turn. Miss kitty needs a name. Any suggestions?

No comments: