Monday, March 12, 2007

The Bird in the Hand

When I was laid off just over a week ago, I immediately sent out an alert to all of my friends letting them know to keep an eye out for openings.  Almost immediately, my friend, mentor and former boss set up an interview for me as a systems integrator with one of the vendors he works with.  I sent him my resume and he forwarded it on.

As he did with my previous job, he talked me up to those in charge and put his name behind my abilities and values - something he doesn't do lightly.  The monday after the layoff, I received a phone call to set up the interview for the coming Wednesday.  My head was still spinning from the chain of events that had just occurred and I already had an interview.

I went to the interview on Wednesday, turned in an official application, filled out an EEOC form and a short technical test as I waited.  I had been a little nervous but if the test was the worst they were going to throw at me for a screening, I didn't have anything to worry about.

I went into one of the offices with the interviewer.  He talked about the company and how the job fit into the scheme of things.  He asked me about my skills, personality, likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses - you know, all that interview jazz.  All-in-all it was a fairly relaxed, conversational meeting.

As the interview was winding down, the interviewer started talking about salary and benefits... then offered me the job.  Right then and there, three business days after having been laid off, I had a job for the taking.  Stunned.  I was stunned.

Many years ago, I was told not to make big decisions hastily.  Besides, I have a spouse to consider and there were a few elements of the job that I wanted to mull over.  First, the job is based in another town about 60 miles away (Tulsa).  Second, it will require a considerable amount of travel throughout the state since the company is a solutions provider and my job would be to be the on-site man for the company.  In addition to the considerations for the job, there were a few things brewing on the other side of the marriage and her career situation.  I wanted to see how those might turn out.

I prayed to God for clarity.  I said that I didn't care what direction He wanted me to take to receive the abundance and happiness He wants for me but I asked for the path to be obvious - even if it was a rough path.

Late Friday, I was still thinking about and trying to calculate based on unknown variables and I was giving myself a headache.  I decided to put aside the unknowns and look at what was instead of what might be.  With that, I decided I was going to take the job... and the phone rang.  It was a local company where another friend works and they wanted to set up an interview for Monday.  I scheduled it but was still 99% resolved to take the job in Tulsa (see previous post).

I went to the local interview this morning.  The job & company are solid and the pay range is adequate.  I could learn a LOT from working there.  I think the interview went well and I probably have a very good shot at it.  But they won't be making a decision for 2-3 weeks.

When I got home, I sent my letter of acceptance to "Company A" (I'd had it written and in my drafts folder since late Saturday) and I start my new job on Monday.  Whatever happens with all those unknowns I will act upon accordingly when and if the time comes.

No comments: