Thursday, May 03, 2007

Making The Turn

Tomorrow is my 40th birthday. For many people, this is a turning point in their life. They spend a lot of time in introspective examination and end up stressing themselves out. What I've heard is that people end up with feelings of failure because they are not where they expected/hoped to be at this point in their life. From that, they try to recapture their youth or make drastic changes in their lives.

This is not going to happen to me. First, I did some of that when I turned 30. I looked at my life and decided I didn't like the path I was on and would feel a lack of accomplishment when I turned 40 if I stayed on that path. I made a career change and haven't looked back.

To be honest, I had been thinking some of those, "Is this where I want / wanted to be?" thoughts since the beginning of the year. I was considering a few changes - nothing drastic - but life took care of that on its own. I now live in a new town, I'll soon have a new job, I'll be meeting new people and enjoying new experiences. Rather than having to make sweeping changes searching for renewal, life has made those changes for me and I am most certainly experiencing a renewal. It's a bit scary but I think I'm going to like it.

------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. I didn't quite get everything packed at the house. There's still some stuff in the garage, bedroom and kitchen. If I'd had another day I could have finished but the Job Skills Workshop provided me with some invaluable information for my job search. It was a good trade. The universe has been unfolding as it should lately so I will let finishing up the packing and moving our belongings from storage take care of themselves. The solutions to those challenges will reveal themselves in time.

No comments: