Sunday, June 10, 2007

Didn't Have Much To Say

I haven't been journaling much here lately because, honestly, I just haven't had much to say. Most of my days have been filled with cleaning the house, filling out job applications and generally worrying about money.

The job search is going okay. I think I'm reaching that point where things are going to start happening. I had an interview on May 30 for a Network Analyst position. The interview went well but I knew it was going to come down to what, exactly, they were looking for. I have a working knowledge of the job but have mostly been involved with low-level equipment. I received a call from them a week later. The bad news was that they had offered the job to someone else. The good news is that they encouraged me to apply for a systems admin. job they will be opening soon. That tells me they liked me but I just didn't quite have the experience they needed.

I managed to apply for a systems admin. job at another company this week. I think I have a great shot at it but it depends on whether they're "advertising for compliance" or there's an actual job there. There are also a couple of other possibilities that I have applications in for. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I'm working part-time at the local Hastings to help pay some of the bills. It's not as fun as it has been in the past because there's (almost) no possibility that I'll have a random encounter with someone I know, my knees and back protest to standing that long a lot more than they did five or six years ago, and I feel like working there is a necessity, not a choice. But I am enjoying it (and I'm looking forward to the day when I'm making enough money to benefit from the employee discount).

Interestingly enough, I must have impressed the store manager. I've been there three weeks now and my name tag still says "in training" on it and he's already talking to me about becoming a department associate or the Hastings equivalent of a shift leader. That five years I put in at the store in Stillwater is paying off.

Of course, being back in retail has given me plenty of opportunity for people watching. For instance, we've all gone to the local video rental store, plunked our DVDs down on the counter, then thought, "duh!" as we realize that the cashier is going to need our membership card. The ones who fascinate me are those who, after you call out a total for the purchase, give you a deer in the head lights look as if to say, "you mean I gotta pay for it?"

Well, that's all the fun I have for now. You kids behave yourselves.

No comments: