Thursday, November 29, 2007

Where Does The Time Go?

I finally remembered to reset my odometer when I left the house at 6:30 this morning and determined that I drive 66 miles to work every morning... and 66 miles home from work every evening. It takes me anywhere between an hour to 75 minutes to make the drive. The good part of this is that it gives me plenty of time to listen to podcasts. My favorites are Geek News Central and The Naked Scientists. I also enjoy listening to TWiT (does Dvorak like anything?), Buzz Out Loud, Car Talk call of the week, and Windows Weekly.

My job is doing enterprise-level technical support via telephone. Because of the nature of the products I support, it is common for calls to last at least an hour, two-hour calls are not unusual, and there is at least one story each day about a four-, six-or eight-hour call. It's not that the products are all that complicated but the function they perform is time consuming which means it takes a while to test fixes. I'm still learning but so far I'm enjoying the work. Part of the reason I am able to work there is that we are graded on how well we satisfy the customer, not how many calls we can handle in a given time period. The call volume is actually low compared to something like the major sound card and multimedia manufacturer I was employed by for approximately one month.

My weekends are spent catching up on sleep (I get up at ~5:15 am), performing household maintenance tasks, and recovering from my insomnial hangover (I know that's not a word).

So there you have my life in a nutshell over the past month or so. I'm sure I'll get acclimated to my new routine but for now it requires some downtime.

No comments: