Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Email To David Howe, Executive President, NBC Universal | Scifi Channel

I read on web that you're changing the name of the network from SciFi to SyFy. The only thing I have to ask is, "What the hell are you thinking?"

People identify SciFi with science fiction. You see "SciFi" in the channel lineup and you know exactlywhat that channel is about. SyFy just looks stupid. What is that? Is that a movie network? Another cooking channel? It sounds to me more like what G4 ended up being. I stopped watching that network before they dropped TechTV from their name.

You say the name change is to broaden the scope of programming. Why do you need to change the name to do that? If the network is still going to be related to science fiction, leave the name alone. Change your tag line. Advertise and market differently. Don't change just so you can trademark. Let's not get cutesy with the name of the network. Please.

Thank you,
Joe Fusco

No comments: