Sunday, October 11, 2009

In Case You're Not Interested

It took me 3 days to write the Zune HD review. It will probably take most people that long to read it. For those of you who care as much about my review as the current futures market for jelly donuts, I present to you this post.

Last night I went to the wedding celebration for my friend who got married in Wyoming. There were a lot of people there I didn't know and the hosts, not surprisingly, weren't long on introductions.

I suck at remembering names. I know, that's a cheap excuse but, for some reason, when I'm meeting people I go into information overload mode. What was really bad was someone I was introduced to eraly in the evening remembered my name and, as he was leaving, said, "It was nice meeting you, Joe." I barely remembered that he was at the gathering much less his name.

Because my job involves a lot of faculty, staff and students I have been trying harder to use those mnemonic devices to remember names but I really have to make a conscious effort to do that. This job has made me do a lot of think-shifting in a lot of different areas. There are some days when I think I'm starting to get a handle on it then about 5 minutes later I feel like I have no clue. My years of experience are only helping superficially because my experience has gone counter to the way many functions work in this job.

Sorry. Didn't mean to do an emotional brain dump on you but, hey, it's more interesting than a long-winded technology review.

No comments: