Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tea For Two

I really enjoy hot tea. It is a flavorful, hot drink that is not weighed down like hot chocolate or a latte. Tea also tastes wonderful when you're sick with sinus pressure and a cough, like I have been for the past two days.

My favorite experience with tea has to be when we were on a cruise. I don't recall if it was our first cruise, a 4-day cruise to the Bahamas, or our second cruise, a seven day to the Caymans, Jamaica and Mexico. Anyway, they were having a "high tea" or a "captains tea" and I decided to take some time to check it out.

I believe the event was held in the library or someplace similar. I recall there being a lot of wood in the room. There weren't a lot of people, maybe 20 or 30, so it was a rather cozy gathering. I'm pretty sure it was designed to be a get-to-know-you event.

I took a seat, not knowing what to expect, and waited for things to start. The part I really remember and the part that, to me, made it special was the presentation of the teas. A steward of some sort came by with a large, flat, wooden box. The lid was hinged and as he came near the table, he stopped and opened the lid. Inside the box was just about every kind of tea Bigelow makes and it was like he was presenting it just to me. I felt "wealthy" for a moment as if the butler were presenting me with a choice of any of the many teas in my stores.

I selected a tea, I believe it was Earl Grey, and the steward moved on. When I had finished, I rejoined my wife having taken a moment for myself to relax and enjoy a hot cup of tea with some "friends."

No comments: