Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Windows 7 - Round 2

I now have Windows 7 installed on my desktop computer. I have all of my standard software reinstalled and have all of my user folders redirected to the non-system partition. I'm ready to get to work.

My desktop is a 2GHz dual core E2180 with 4 gigs of RAM (3.12GB usable because it's 32 bit). I'm running an nVidia e-GeForce 8400GS with dual Dell P990 19" CRT monitors.

The system is running exponentially better than it ever did under Vista but I've had a bit of difficulty with the monitors. Windows 7 wants to put them at a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 at 32bit. I had both monitors running at 1600 x 1200 at 32bit under Vista but Win 7 wants to reduce them to 16 bit color if I push them to 16x12. I managed to setup a custom resolution of 16x12 @ 32bit for monitor #1 but monitor #2 will have none of that. Every time I try, it blacks out both screens until I reboot. I suppose I can live with it.

One aspect of Win 7 I have seen that I don't like is the welcome screen behavior. Every time it sleeps or hibernates it pulls up the welcome screen when you wake it up. This despite the setting for that behavior being unchecked on the screen saver settings. It's not so bad on my desktop where I use a password but I just can't understand it on my laptop where the profile does not have a password. Why do I have to go through the extra step of clicking an icon to get back to my desktop? I'm sure someone will figure that one out. In the mean time, it is again not a deal breaker.

I finally figured out how to re-enable the quick launch toolbar. I was getting upset that they took it out but they just shut it off. Most everything else is very Vista-like. A few settings groups have been split and a few settings have been buried deeper to keep people from accidentally fiddling. So far this is looking like the Vista that I wanted to like.

No comments: