Sunday, April 11, 2010

One Foot In Front Of The Other

This post is proving more difficult to write than I thought it would be. It's hard to decide what to share and what not to share.

Life has gotten marginally better. I'm still on the edge at work but I'm also still employed. I spent 13-14 hours at work on Friday. We started having issues with a USB storage device-propagated virus. And we discovered that some of our classroom computers were infected.

We had created an image when we installed the computers but the program we used is painfully slow. By the time the image got pushed to just one of the machines and I did all of the necessary updates and changes that have come along since December 2008, it would be just as easy to build from scratch - which is what I did. I pulled one of the machines late in the afternoon and started working on it. I had to finish it and get it back into the classroom before 8:00am Monday. It took me about 4.5 hours to get all the software I could installed and updated and start creating a new image using a better program. I went in Saturday morning and got the machine back into the classroom.

We have a program that freezes the system state. If anything happens to the machine - file deletion, virus, whatever - all you have to do is reboot and it goes back to the way it was when it was locked. We didn't lock down these classrooms when we originally set up the machines so I'm surprised it's taken this long to have a problem. I still have to re-image the other two rooms but they have a couple of different programs on them that require license keys that I didn't have access to Friday night. I am hoping to at least get the software and keys in hand on Monday. I have to get it done before COB Wednesday because I'm heading to Denver on Thursday.

My wife had some friends she had met online through a TV Show fan site that lived in the Denver area. Because of them we discovered a Denver SciFi convention. We've been to Starfest a couple of times but it's been seven or eight years since we've been.

I usually go to Trek Expo in Tulsa but when we found out that Summer Glau and Christopher Judge would be appearing, two stars that don't generally appear at cons in this area, we started making plans for how we could attend. I'll report back when we return.

As for my weekend, I've had a better weekend than I've had in a very long time. Once I was done at work Saturday morning, I left it behind and just had a nice, relaxing day. I found my 1984 Olympics album (I'd been looking for it for a long time and thought I had somehow gotten rid of it) and transferred it into MP3. Today, I spent a few hours cleaning up the back deck (it's been needing to be done for... longer than it should have), setting up a large table umbrella, and just enjoying the outdoors.

No comments: