Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Whirling, transient nodes of thought

I have a sticky note at the bottom of my monitor at work that has the words "Negative Energy" written on it. In hi-lighter it has the international "no" symbol (a circle with a slash through it) superimposed over the words. I did this several weeks ago because I was allowing myself to be consumed with the negativism that was permeating my environment. I had gotten to the point that I was either going to start screaming about even the smallest of annoyances (I actually had at one point - scared the hell out of everyone in the other offices around me) or explode. I decided then and there it wasn't worth it. I "cleansed my aura" - I waved my hands above my head then out across my shoulders finally shaking the 'energy' off my hands in a physical representation of getting rid of the negative thoughts - and put up the sticky note as a reminder.

Even though that reminder is staring me in the face on a daily basis, I find it difficult to heed its advice. It's difficult to do when the water-cooler conversation is all about how our new directors have turned into true PHBs. It's so bad that one of them is stringing out the rope to hang himself with a sexual harassment or hostile work environment lawsuit.

I could say more but that would open a door for the neg energy to flow back in. I'm trying to expunge it.

"Beware the dark side" - Yoda

I moved offices last Monday. I'm sharing an office in a different building with Gary. He made my transition easy by being gone last week. I was able to stack boxes behind his desk and let my plants float around the room a bit to decide where they wanted to be. I was worried how he'd receive my plants since they're a little overbearing for the space we have but relaxed as he excitedly told a coworker, "... He brought plants!"


I'm starting to get excited - HEY! None of that. Get your mind out of the gutter!

I'm starting to get excited about a fly fishing trip with my father next week. My wife and I own a timeshare condo in Colorado. Due to unforeseen circumstances, she doesn't have the leave time available to go this year. At her mother's suggestion, I asked my dad to take me fly fishing. He agreed.

I'm not excited about fly fishing. I don't care about fly fishing that much. What's important is I get to spend time with my dad. I'm hoping to get to know him a little better. Sure, I grew up with him but who listens to their parents as they grow up? Plus, over the last 15 years or so, geography has kept us apart and I'd like to learn more about his life since then. The big kicker, though, is I'll have time to sit down with him and record some of our family's oral history - THAT will be cool!


It's almost time to hit the shower and get ready for work. Later, y'all.