Wednesday, May 26, 2004

We Now Pause Our Regular Programming For This Public Service Announcement

That’s it. I’m tired of receiving email about the Swiffer Wet Jet killing pets and Great American Gas-Outs and how Microsoft is going to send me money simply for forwarding an email.

With all of the real virus activity in the past couple of years, I haven’t gotten many false virus reports but they come in, too.

This is the WORST kind of spam because it usually comes from someone you know and it has been forwarded to countless others.

Please please PLEASE PLEASE do not forward this kind of drivel. Check it out first. Here are a few links that may be helpful.

The Urban Legends Home Page: http://www.snopes.com
I have yet to be told of an urban legend that I have not found information on here. There is a pretty simple search engine on the site. For instance, typing in the word “swiffer” took me right to a link to the article referenced above.

The Virus Myths Homepage: http://www.vmyths.com
Did you get a virus alert from a co-worker? Is it real? This is the place to check. You can also usually find more information on real virus threats that, perhaps, your I.T. department sent you a warning about.

Toxic Excuses
This is an EXCELLENT article on avoiding cognitive pitfalls that may cause you to forward a possibly false email.

If you’ve checked these places and either can’t find the information you’re looking for or just aren’t quite sure, feel free to email it to me and I’ll GLADLY verify it for you. I am an I.T. professional and I take that very seriously.

Please feel free to reference this entry or use it in its entirety.

No comments: