Thursday, November 11, 2004

I salute you

Veteran's day has always been one of those "holidays" that just doesn't mean much to me. I know that the day is set aside to honor those who have fought for the freedoms we enjoy here in the United States. While I try not to take those freedoms for granted, it is difficult not to do. I was born as the Vietnam war was winding down. By the time I was old enough to understand, it was no longer front page news. The gulf war was so quick and decisive, and met with so little resistance, that it seems like a historical footnote in my mind. Up to this point, I would say I have never known anyone that has "gone to war," not even in this most recent conflict. I didn't belittle their sacrifice of time or effort but I just couldn't wrap my head around it for some reason. I didn't see it as dangerous or tragic. Maybe it was because I'm not close enough to anyone who has been in combat or maybe it's just because I don't want to acknowledge it - I don't know.

On my blogroll, you'll notice a listing for "Our Turn in Baghdad." I don't recall what originally brought me to the site but I really connected with this guy. I could see myself in him and that, somehow, made it more real. When I first started reading, I was excited because he talked about using things like video cameras and mobile satellite links and other cool stuff that I'd have fun with. He also talked about the positive aspects of our mission in Iraq - rebuilding schools, relocating lions, and getting to know the indigenous population. His words have changed me and now I would say I know people who have gone to war - one of them is there now. As I continue to follow his story, I have learned about the conditions at the front lines and the uncertainty of sitting in a Bradley Assault Vehicle parked at an intersection in a hot zone. His story has made the war real for me. I now better understand the situations that our servicemen and veterans have faced... all so we don't have to.

So, to our veterans, old and young, I say thank you. Thank you for keeping us safe. Thank you for ensuring that I could vote last week without fear of repercussion. Thank you for helping me be able to sleep at night - because I'm sure there were nights for you when staying awake meant staying alive.

To our servicemen on duty and in harms way, I say to you all of those things and I say stay safe. May God bring each of you home to us.

No comments: