Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Lots going on today

Goodbye, Scotty.
Although I had been expecting to see the notification at any time after hearing at Trek Expo that James Doohan was wheelchair bound and no longer capable of speech, it still saddened me to hear of his death early this morning. He, like several others of the Star Trek cast, was an inspiration to an uncountable multitude. The world has lost a friend. Yet again, I feel I should have spent my last dollar. I think there has never been and will never again be such an iconic character in Science Fiction history... even bigger that Captain Kirk.

I finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.
I was told of a news report where several people were disappointed with this book. I'm not. I think it very well deals with the loss of innocence and the feeling of responsibility that comes to each of us long before it really should. Now I await the next book, hoping that Harry gets to kick some serious wizard ass.

Financial Aid Fallout.
I'm not officially in a degree program yet. I haven't taken the required standardized test and, therefore, cannot be admitted into the program - although I can take classes (up to 9 hours) that count toward the degree once I am accepted. This "special student" status has a significant drawback... Special students are not eligible for federal financial aid - not even student loans.
There are some non-federal student loans available but I'm going to look at trying to take the GMAT before school starts. Even with the tuition waiver I receive for being an employee, the 6 hours I'm enrolled in this semester are going to cost me ~$750, not including books. And I was really hoping I could buy a new, faster laptop for school.

Overall, it's been a real wet-blanket day. But, I did make it to the gym this evening. So I go that going for me... which is nice.

No comments: