Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Movie Quotes Have Eaten my Brain

(Entertainment for a rainy Saturday afternoon)*

Back in June, Stephen King wrote an article for Entertainment Weekly in which he talked about how movie lines have become part of our vernacular. It's quite true, too. Think about it. Who, these days, does not say "I'll be back" without trying to affect an Austrian accent?

Here's my point. I love movie quotes. I love them so much that I built a web site to share my collection with the world. I have an almost constant dialogue of movie lines playing in my head on a daily basis. If I don't use that Austrian accent, Ahnold is at least saying it in my head. Plus, there are lines I just HAVE to share verbally with whomever is around. Some people get it, some don't.

Some of the lines I am compelled to repeat (or at least play in my head) --

Person: It could be worse.
Me: It could be raining.
(Young Frankenstein)

Meeting new people:
To the people I know in the group, I will shake their hand and say, "Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman, damn glad to meet you."
(Animal House)

Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? - Germans? - Forget it, he's rolling.
Hi, how are you? (it's the way he says it)
May I help you? Click Here for the answer that plays in my head.
Remain calm, all is well!
Also from Animal House

Demented and sad, but social.
(Breakfast Club)

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.
This is a fun one, too.
(Airplane) - And don't call me Shirley.

There's something you don't see every day.
(Cow & Chicken)

One of the many advantages of being cool like me is that you don't get eaten by canibals.
(Cartoon Planet)

Pretty little doodad, isn't it.
(Bullwinkle)

I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
(2001) Then, of course, in my head, I follow it up this way.

Any time I take a trip, this goes through my head.
(Blues Brothers)

When I have an idea: My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought.
And there's this one, for when someone wants me to repeat something to someone else.
Come to think of it, Blazing Saddles has so many that go through my head it's not even funny.

Who could forget... Excellent! from Bill & Ted

When something bad is happening:
I remember that sound. That's a bad sound.
(Galaxy Quest) This is another one with many many lines.

That's a fact, Jack!
(Stripes)

Radio's working like a Swiss... car.
(Down Periscope)

The imortal words of Socrates.
Would you classify that as a launch problem or a design problem?
This, for instance, was under H for "Toy"
(Real Genius)

For those not-so-great movies
(Strange Brew)

Who hasn't felt like this?
(The Wedding Singer)

For Christmas time
When someone owes me money or I have to pay a toll
And my Favorite Movie Line of All Time
From Better Off Dead

There are so, so MANY more but that should hold you for now.

*From the original Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory

No comments: