Sunday, September 25, 2005

My Father, the Teacher

There were no classrooms, no desks.
There were no lectures – not formal ones anyway.
There was no lunchroom and no study hall.
But many of the lessons I learned about life, I learned from my father.

He taught me to laugh when something is funny – especially if that something is me.

He taught me that it is okay to cry when I’m sad – but not to dwell on the sadness.

He taught me to do something when I see it needs to be done – even if it’s not my job.

He taught me that being quick to anger makes you waste energy on the insignificant – and to choose carefully the things that are worth getting angry about.

He taught me that I could do anything I want with my life – and that wanting to do what you do is its own reward.

He taught me to love with all my heart – because the smallest amount of shared love is bigger than the biggest hurt.

No classroom, no books no tests.
But the lessons my father taught me will be with me forever.

See, dad, I was paying attention.

No comments: