Thursday, September 22, 2005

Pop Quiz, Hotshot

I live in Oklahoma where we are occasionally effected by hurricanes but we never get anywhere close to the full force. Rita is expected to hit us as a Tropical Depression.  Our biggest weather concern is tornadoes, but they don’t give much warning.  I got to thinking the other night about what I would take if I had to evacuate my house and had a couple of days to do it.

  1. Anything in the house that breathes oxygen (wife, cat, dogs, etc.)
  2. My favorite clothing – enough for at least a week
  3. Personal hygiene items (toothbrush, hairbrush, deodorant, etc.)
  4. Drinking water (3–4 gallons or a case or two of bottled)
  5. A spare gas can with gas (the 5 gallon lawn mower gas can will do fine)
  6. Emergency supplies (first aid kit, flashlight, batteries, glowsticks, portable radio, etc.)
  7. Selected tools (crescent wrench, couple of screwdrivers, hammer, crowbar, etc.)
  8. Duct tape (it can do SO may things)
  9. Favorite family photographs/photo albums
  10. The pillows we sleep on nightly and a blanket or two (you never know where you may have to crash)
  11. A towel or two (read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy if you don’t understand this one)
  12. My camera (because it’s so expensive and so cool, not because I feel the need to document the excursion)
  13. My laptop and the hard drives from all of our desktop computers (the computers can bite it, I want the data)
  14. My computer CD case (data backups)
  15. My trackball – they don’t make them anymore. Not a tragedy if it gets forgotten but you understand, don’t you?
  16. A couple of rolls of bathroom tissue, just in case.

What would you take? Did I forget anything (we don’t have kids or they’d be on the list)?

No comments: