Thursday, September 22, 2005

A Windows Tip

I don’t know if this really works or not and I don’t know if you care.  I don’t really care if you care but I don’t want to have to go hunting this down again so I’m storing it here so I’ll at least know where to look for it when I need it.

How can I find my Windows 98 product key if I do not have the case anymore?

Because you were asked for the Key when you first installed Windows, it's saved in the registry. This means that you can locate it before removing Windows from your system. Even if you are unable to start Windows, as long as you can get to the command line,( a C:\ prompt) you can run this on the System. dat file that's part of the registry. For Windows 98 installations, type:
FIND.EXE/I "ProductKey" %winbootdir%\SYSTEM.DAT
The first line of the values returned should show the product key in a form similar to:
 ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????.

Originally from http://www.swfpcug.org/faq/windows_98.htm

For Windows XP users, you can use a free utility called RockXP to recover your product key. It will even recover your MS Office (or other MS product) installation keys. Plus, it has a password generator (basically generates X random characters you can use for passwords).  Not bad at all.  It is available from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rockxp.html 

 

No comments: