Saturday, October 15, 2005

Everybody's Wrokin' For The Weekend

I’m sitting here at my new desk.  The phone guy is running around like I was Wednesday and Thursday.  There are a couple of other employees here finishing the setup on their offices.  There are a few more that need to come in so they’re ready for Monday.  It’s already afternoon and I’m not going to wait for them all day.

I’m here for three reasons.  Number one, I had a couple of desks that I needed to finish setting up and connecting to the network plus anyone who had not started setting up a the end of the day Friday (some of the desks weren’t moved until after five).  Number two, I needed to set up the videoconferencing unit.  Number three, I had to finish setting up my office space.  I didn’t have much time for that on Thursday and Friday.  I was helping everyone else.

My space is quite nice.  It’s about 8’ x 10’ (an improvement from th 6’ x 8’ I had), has a built-in desk and something like a 24’ceiling (at least!).  Yep, I’m in a cubicle.  We’re not supposed to call them cubicles, though, and I agree with that.  The partitions are semi-permanent and taller than usual (5’6”?), most have their own lighting and they’re rather spacious.  We’re supposed to call them “Vaulted Offices,” which I don’t agree with because I don’t find it descriptive, but cubicle is the closest descriptive term I have at the moment. (if you have any other – positive sounding – names for my space, please let me know).

The new office is in what was originally the Stillwater Public Library, built in 1938 according to the cornerstone.  My office is on the main floor in what used to be one of the main reading rooms – which explains the high ceiling.  Just so you’re sure, we didn’t design the setup.  There was another company that payed for the major renovation that we are now utilizing and we bought it from them since they moved their offices to Florida.

The biggest only annoyance I’ve found is that semi trucks traveling along State Highway 51/6th Street – which runs along the front of our building – that stop at the light on the corner cause the floor to shake when they start moving again… and I’m in the back of the building.  Kinda creepy.

The phone guy is having to do much more work than I did.  First, he removed a huge rats nest of phone wire from the basement and completely rewired that side of it.  Then, he found out that every single phone jack was wired contrary to common standard… meaning he has to rewire each one as he visits the desk.  I know what I had to go through to get this building networked and it really wasn’t much but it was time-consuming for various reasons.  I don’t envy him what he has been doing for the past three days (which was only supposed to take two).

One of the stragglers just showed up.  I’m going to go see if I can help her set up her computer.

No comments: