Thursday, October 20, 2005

Has CBS Become a Subliminal Advertising Whore?

A few weeks ago, I was enjoying Yes, Dear on CBS and, during a scene involving a conversation between Greg and Jimmy, I noticed the symbol for the Chevy Impala hanging on the wall behind one of them.  It was just there as set dressing like a piece of artwork hanging on the wall in the kitchen.  I also noticed that there were several commercials for the Impala during the show.  I figured Chevy must be sponsoring the show.

The very next day, I was watching CSI and the Impala symbol showed up again.  As the team arrived at a crime scene, it was on the side of a pay phone, almost center shot.  It was like graffiti. There were, again, several commercials for the Impala during the show.

I wish I had recorded them, I would include screen shots.

Tonight’s episode of CSI was worse.  During several scenes that included the local police, I kept hearing the Sprint/Nextel chirp.  You know, the noise their phones make when you’re using the walkie talkie feature.  Problem was, nobody was using the phones, it was background noise.  I can’t say if there were Sprint/Nextel commercials since I was watching it delayed on my Replay TV and skipped the commercials.

So, do you see this as a good thing or a bad thing?  I don’t particularly like it.

 

update: Apparently, the Impala logos were part of a contest.

No comments: