Sunday, October 23, 2005

Yes, We're Having Fun Now

I should probably already be on my way to – or in – Winter Park, CO by now.  It’s our week for the timeshare and the schedule has changed several times.

I invited dad several months ago.  He originally turned me down so the wife said we’d go together.  Then, dad decided to go with us and it was going to be three.  The only problem there was that the wife had a spa appointment on Saturday night.  As such, we were going to have to drive up to KC Sunday, then head for WP Monday morning.

The wife went to Detroit with he mother over last weekend and managed to injure her arm.  Nothing broken but she tends to take a while in healing so it’s still bothering her.  She decided to back out because a) she didn’t want to risk injuring her arm any further and b) she didn’t want to be “in the way.”  I didn’t think she’d be in the way but I’ll agree with the arm thing.

Once she backed out, the plan was to drive to KC on Saturday (yesterday) and head for WP today.  I had a couple of chores to take care of Sat. morning but they shouldn’t get in the way.  What did get in the way was karaoke.

Late in the day on Friday, I learned the office was going to celebrate an employee’s 40th birthday at a local restaurant after work.  I grabbed the wife and we went.  We spent a couple of hours eating, drinking and talking and apparently the girls had plans on doing something after.  They were going to go to a local bar to sing karaoke.  I decided to join them to take pictures and give it a try.  The wife’s arm was bothering her so I dropped her off at home and headed for the bar to spend the evening with six good looking ladies.

I was hesitant at first to get up and sing.  I spent some time looking at the song list and finally settled on a song.  The ladies turned it in for me and I was listening, with some trepidation, to the other singers.  My fears washed away as one guy got up and absolutely butchered Timbuk3’s “Keep Your Hands to Yourself.”  Nobody laughed at him and I knew I could do better.

I was still hesitant to go up alone so a couple of the ladies sang backup to my rendition of George Strait’s “Ocean Front Property.”  It’s a song I know the words to and I know is within my range.  It turned out really well but the experience was a little surreal.  I heard this voice coming from the speaker and it took me a few seconds to realize it was my voice.

I spent some more time with the ladies then went to fulfill an unconfirmed obligation at another karaoke bar.  I met Kevin there and spent a couple of hours in an extremely smoky room (their ventilation SUCKS!) and sang a solo of Jimmy Buffet’s “Why Don’t We Get Drunk” and a duet of Weird Al’s “Achy Breaky Song” with Kevin.  Except for the itchy eyes and smelling like an ash tray from across the room, the evening turned out to be an entirely enjoyable experience.

Needless to say, I didn’t get much any packing done Friday night.

Getting to bed late/early combined with letting the dogs out three times through the relatively short night made for a bit of a hungover feeling on Saturday (I didn’t have a single alcoholic drink Friday night – I was driving).  I had to take care of some honey-do’s in the morning, which I did, but even though I got my clothes gathered for the trip, I didn’t get anything in the suitcase.  By the time I was ready to actually pack, the day had caught up with me and I would be late getting to KC anyway.  In the long run, I decided to accompany my wife to Oklahoma City and spent some quality time at the toy stores Best Buy and CompUSA while she did the spa thing.

It all turned out for the best because I managed to get some sleep last night and felt much better about the trip this morning.  I got my clothes packed, gathered my “gear,” loaded the car and was on the road by 11:00am.

I started this post almost three hours ago. I spent some time getting the boot time on dad’s PC straightened out and I’m just finishing up now.  We’re going to get a early start tomorrow morning for our 10 hour drive so I’m going to sign off and head for bed.  I’ll have limited connectivity at best, if any, so you may not see any entries while I’m gone.  I do have audio blogging set up again so there will probably be some reports from the road.

Have a good week everyone.

No comments: