Friday, November 18, 2005

Stuffed Animals

We had our company Thanksgiving feast at noon today.  Head Honcho (what is a honcho, anyway?) sprang for turkey and everything else was pot luck.  I brought “Pink Stuff

It didn’t seem to matter what department I was working in at my last employer but everyone, including myself, used to cop out.  We’d bring some store-bought dish that was usually dessert so the pot-luck ended up being turkey, gravy and your choice of forty-seven varieties of cookies, cakes and other sugar-flour combinations.  Maybe it was because my previous employer was one big toxic energy dump and everyone had lost their will to be productive in the kitchen.  I can’t say. (but I’m not bitter)

Today, however, I was pleasantly surprised.  We had sweet potato casserole, corn bread casserole, green bean casserole, some sort of shrimp bisque that I wasn’t sure whether to eat like a soup or use to drown some other side dish, rolls, salad, a good balance of desserts, and several other items that I’m sure I sampled but can’t recall through my l-triptophan-induced haze.  Basically, it was a well-balanced thanksgiving feast suitable for gorging yourself on.

On another note, I didn’t think I was going to get to spend thanksgiving day with my folks (we’re spending Christmas with the wife’s family).  I was going to have to work on Friday so I was planning on heading North after work and spending the weekend with them.  My assistant, however, has decided that he can’t afford to take the day off (he’s still in his probationary period so he has to take it without pay).  I was quite willing to let him but he changed his plans so I changed mine.  I’m not sure what that will do for my December leave but one more day with pay then vs. one day with pay now doesn’t really matter to me either way.

Note to Ron – at least you didn’t have to wait 10 days for this one.

No comments: