Tuesday, November 29, 2005

'Tis The Season

Maybe it’s the new job.  There’s a distinct lack of stress… well, bad stress… in my life at the moment.  For the first time in I can’t remember how long, I am actually enjoying the holiday season.  Maybe it’s just that all of the right things are happening in the right order.

The day after Halloween… November first… I found it necessary to visit the evil empire that is Wal-Mart.  As I was walking around, I found myself whistling “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.”  When I realized what I was doing I said to myself, “What are you doing!?” (yeah, I really said that) “It’s too early to be whistling Christmas tunes!”  I wondered what had prompted me to pursue this particular course of action.  I started looking around when I noticed it.  Playing on the “Wal-Mart Network” (the television sets strategically placed around the store with volume set so – unless you’re directly under the TV – the message pumping into your brain is almost subliminal) was the infectious tune that had filled my head.  I was a bit insulted at its subtlety but finally gave in and enjoyed my little bout of insanity and continued whistling the tune.

Just prior to Thanksgiving, I distributed my infamous Christmas list.  I really enjoy putting these together.  This year was particularly odd because I got the big ticket item I was requesting for the past three years for my birthday.  With that, it was almost a challenge to come up with these really extravagant items that I want but would not generally be allowed to buy for myself.

Early last week, I went to Braum’s and enjoyed my Egg Nog milkshake.

I got to spend Thanksgiving with my family and spent the day after shopping.  I like to shop.  We went back and forth across Kansas City to about five different stores – some of them twice.  It was fun.

Then, when I returned home, I got to hear the  B.C. Clark sale jingle, the final sign that Christmas is just around the corner.

I’m ready… I’m pumped… I’m happy.  And I don’t even have a Christmas tree up.

No comments: