Friday, December 09, 2005

Awestruck

We had our company Christmas party last night.  I wasn’t sure what to expect, having only worked for the company for 3.5 months, but I had been told bonuses were given out last year (no guarantee, of course).

I arrived and everyone was milling about, drinks in hand.  The facility was decorated with red tablecloths, green napkins, candlelit centerpieces we provided and a Christmas tree complete with pretty wrapped boxes underneath.  I met a few spouses, said a few hellos, and we all started to head for the hors d'oeuvres.  The spread was pretty nice including fresh fruit, cheese cubes, a vegetable tray, chocolate covered strawberries, mini sausages in barbecue sauce, stuffed mushroom caps and meatballs.  I sat with my cow-orker, Carl, and we were joined by my boss, the president of the company.

We chatted while we all nibbled on our food.  It was mostly about sports, a subject I don’t follow very deeply, so I didn’t participate heavily.  It was pleasant conversation and pleasant company, though.  In short order they also served some desserts – chocolate cheesecake sampler, chocolate bon-bons, and some sort of chocolate covered cheesecake type candy.  As we were enjoying that part of the evening, the CEO came around and all of the employees drew numbers for “dirty Santa.”

For those of you that don’t know, “dirty Santa” is a method of gift-giving.  There are X presents under the tree.  Each person participating draws a number from 1 to X.  The person with #1 picks a gift and unwraps it.  #2, and all subsequent numbers, have the option of either unwrapping a present or “stealing” a present that has already been opened.  If your present is stolen, you get the option of stealing another gift (you usually can’t “steal back” your gift unless it has been stolen from the person who stole it from you) or opening one.  Each present can only be stolen so many times before it is frozen and can no longer be stolen.  The game ends when the last present is opened.  Player 1 usually gets the final opportunity to steal.

Anyway, I drew number 2 for DS.  Player 1 grabbed a gift, unwrapped it, and it was a Philips portable DVD player and carrying bag.  I considered stealing but wondered what else might be under the tree.  I grabbed a Kodak digital camera with Kodak 4”x6” photo printer – which was eventually stolen.  These were not cheap gifts.  As the evening wore on, we ended up with three digital cameras, two camcorders, two iPod Nano’s, several gift certificate bundles, travel credit vouchers, a 15” LCD TV, various other home entertainment products and even $300 cash being opened or traded around.  I finally ended up with an XM Satellite radio w/ car kit and audio system (the audio system is a set of speakers, a power adapter and antenna the radio docks into for indoor use).  There was no gift under $200.00 under that tree.

Before you start calling me a materialistic bastard, please know that I wasn’t counting up how much was being spent on us as a measurement of our worth.  I was noticing, however, how extravagant the gifts were and noted the work, money and appreciation that went into these gifts.  I have never had a job where the boss invested so much in gifts for the employees.  It blew my mind and was simply the whipped cream and cherry on top of a fantastic opportunity that I’ve been given.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that on top of all of that, each of us was given a $500.00 bonus check:  Colorful chocolate sprinkles.

I am so thankful for the past three months.  I have no doubt that I am part of something worthwhile.  I see the future and, fast as the ride may be, it looks exciting.  No matter what happens in the next few years – when the extravagant gifts have dried up and the party becomes more routine – I will always remember these times.

No comments: