Sunday, April 16, 2006

On The Road

I'm in Cleveland. Yeah, Cleveland, OH. Didn't I tell you? Oh, yeah, right, I haven't been telling you much of anything lately, have I?

On May 1, 2006, my employer will open our first out-of-state clinic in, you guessed it, Cleveland, OH. I am here to set up the computers.

The flight was okay. For some reson, flying stresses me out. I actually prefer flying but I just can't help thinking that if something goes wrong, it's not like you can pull over and call for help. Takeoffs and Landings are especially bad for me. Many of the plane crashes I can remember in my lifetime have occurred on takeoff or landing. I also don't like heavy turbulence. I especially don't like turbulence when you feel like you're briefly in free-fall. That actually terrifies me. This is why I prefer to fly early in the morning. The ride is usually smoother before the sun starts heating up air pockets too much.

We went from Tulsa to Kansas City, then into Chicago and from Chicago to Cleveland. The turbulence into Cleveland was worse than what we had going into Chicago. I had to concentrate on relaxing and tell myself they were just "bumps in the road." My wife says I don't fly so well alone - I think she's right but I also think I did pretty well. The landing in Chicago was the worst part of it and even that wasn't too bad. On our way in, the pilot told us that there was some weather we'd have to go around/through and we'd be holding for a while. We went in for a landing and suddenly pulled up. The pilot said we had to abort because of poor visibility and we were coming around for another attempt... twenty minutes later, we finally went in. As we touched down, I had to look at my traveling companion and ask, "Did we just bounce?"

All turned out well and we're here in one piece.

No comments: