Saturday, August 12, 2006

I Can't Stop Drooling!!!

I just found out Nikon announced the D80 3 days ago. I've skimmed the specs and I so want to replace my D70. No, that's not true, I want to keep my D70... and get a D80, too.

The first differences I noticed were a 10.2 megapixel sensor (the D70 has a 6 MP sensor) and an 11-area auto-focus (The D70 has 5). It appears to have some new metering and imaging processing technologies, too. Plus it uses SD cards instead of Compact Flash* and it has an actual USB 2.0 port. Steve's Digicams doesn't have a review up on it yet so I don't know if they've kept any of the conveniences they left out of the D70 and put into the D70s (such as a wired remote connection) or if they've added any features users feel were lacking on the D70 and D70s (such as bottom contacts for a vertical grip) but I'm anxiously awaiting it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

*I actually think switching to the SD card format limits the capabilities. Although the capacity of flash memory cards has increased quite a bit recently, I would still prefer the option of using a microdrive. Besides, I have a bit of an investment in CF cards already. I've seen cameras that can take either the CF or SD cards and think that's a good idea.

No comments: