Wednesday, September 20, 2006

It's Been an Interesting Evening

My original plan for the evening was to do some grocery shopping after work. When I mentioned this to my wife last night, she reminded me that we had been invited to attend a dress rehearsal for a play at the community theater (we're friends with the director). I am SO glad I didn't go grocery shopping.

We decided to grab some dinner before going to the theater. As we were finishing up our dinner, I looked up and in walks my High School US History teacher! His son-in-law, Jarrod, and I were friends in HS and have kept in touch off and on. Jarrod works in town so we see him once in a while but I haven't seen Mr. Marcum in at least fifteen years, probably more like eighteen.

I can't tell you how much US History I actually learned in Mr. Marcum's class but he's definitely one of those teachers you never forget. For me it wasn't because he had a particularly profound effect on me during some critical turning point in my life but it was because he cared. He genuinely cared and had a passion for his job. You remember the ones who care.

We traded email and contact information and I'm sure we'll be conversing again.

We went to the theater and just before the performance, a lady asked me, "Aren't you an audio guy?" I wasn't too sure how to answer because I was wondering if she thought I was with the theater. She saved me by introducing herself. She I hadn't seen in about ten years. I had done some work for her while I worked for the Audio Visual Center at OSU (during one of my former lives). She had some questions about audio and the internet and wondered if she could pick my brain a bit. I gave her my card and I'm sure I'll be hearing from her again.

The play, Sylvia, by A.R. Gurney, was quite fun as well but I'll be remembering this evening for the connections to the past.

No comments: