Wednesday, September 06, 2006

There Is a Difference (read the instructions)

I was shopping for groceries not long ago and came across Coffee Mate Latte Creations. It's basically creamer with an attitude. I picked some up, tried it and liked it.

In true Wal-Mart fashion, it was very prominently displayed at the time and virtually impossible to find a month later. I did find it but the fact remained that it was kinda pricey.

Believing that somebody must have come up with a recipe for this powdered additive, I consulted the altar of Google... and found this. With the first batch, I nixed the vanilla and added about 3 tablespoons of chocolate milk powder and a couple of tablespoons of cocoa. It passed the wet finger taste test. For the second batch, according to recipe, I went into the other room - where I left the printout - and verified the amount of vanilla necesary. I blended my dry ingredients and added my two tablespoons of vanilla.

I very quickly realized something was very wrong. I consulted my recipe - which I should have taken into the kitchen with me - and discovered my error... it was 2 teaspoons of vanilla.

I think I managed to save the mix by dumping out the clumpy mixture I already had, which was the consistency of sugar cookie dough, into a bowl. I added more dry ingredients to the blender and then slowly added some clumps of the thick vanilla sludge. I'm still deciding what to do with the rest of the base material.

No comments: