Monday, February 19, 2007

I Could, But I Won't...

I learned over the Weekend that OSU President (I refuse to give him the honor of calling him C.E.O., I firmly believe that was a title he bestowed upon himself) David J. Schmidly was chosen as President of the University of New Mexico.  When I saw the headline I literally, involuntarily laughed out loud with joy in my heart.

It's no secret to anyone who has read this blog over the past three or four years that I have little respect for the man, his good-ol-boys or the politics he forced upon the institution.

I have written and re-written this post in my head several times over the past 36 hours trying to be as scathing as possible.  I wanted him to feel the same emotional sting that many many faculty and staff have felt during his tenure and will continue to feel for years to come.  I even thought about gathering quotes about him and his new position from around the web and throwing his own words and "vision" back in his face, pointing out the shorcomings of his administration.

I could have done either of those... but I won't.  I am healing, I have healed and it's just not worth the effort. 

So many times during his time at OSU, I took a view of "cautious optimism" only to have it come back and bite me in the ass.  Looking at the summaries of his interviews and meetings while campaigning to be UNM's President, I feel UNM has been a goal of his for a long time.  Maybe he was bitter that he got stuck at Texas Tech and Oklahoma State when he really wanted to be at UNM and took it out on the institutions... I don't know.

I'll just say that I, like many others, will not be sorry to see him leave.

No comments: