Friday, March 16, 2007

It All Changes in an Instant

I'm unemployed again. Or, is that still since I haven't started the new job yet? This time, it was by choice. More Hobson's choice than mine. Let me explain.

I went to Oklahoma City on Wednesday to fill out paperwork to start the new job on Monday. My wife had returned from an out-of-state interview late Tuesday night and spent the night with her mother so we arranged to have lunch Wednesday afternoon. When we got home around 2pm, there was a message on the answering machine from E, the lady who had interviewed my wife. The wife called her back and E said she couldn't officially offer her a job yet but that's why she was calling. All that was left was to verify her degrees (yes, my wife has two - accounting and economics) and she would send the offer via email.

Later that evening, we checked the email and there it was. The wife emailed her back yesterday accepting the position... at Boise State University in Boise, ID. They finalized the details this morning and she will be starting on April 9th. According to the wife, we're going to pack up and move military style - quickly.

I had considered going ahead with the job so we would have an income stream but it didn't seem ethical. In the end, I think I can be more effective if I have all day to go through our stuff with the KTSD method (Keep, Toss, Sell or Donate). I don't have a job in Boise yet but I've applied for a couple, including one at Boise State.

Life sure got interesting in a hurry. I'll keep you posted (and yes, I'm overwhelmed right now).

No comments: