Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Why I Don't Own An iPod

I admit that I lust for an iPod because of its proven and slick hardware design, its ubiquitous acceptance (iPod is (almost) to MP3 player as Kleenex (tm) is to facial tissue), automatic loading of podcasts and other content, and its wide range of plug-and-play accessories. Aside from price, there are several factors that keep me from buying an iPod. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.

1. The iPod does not support drag-and-drop loading. You can't simply highlight several music files and drag them to the iPod icon, which brings me to point number...

2. You MUST use iTunes to load music onto the device. There have been workarounds and I have heard of other software supporting the iPod but Apple keeps closing those doors.

3. Backlash. Several services are dropping support for the iPod or their content simply will not play on the iPod.

Yo Steve! Steve Jobs. Do you want me to buy an iPod? I would LOVE to but you're going to have to make it a little more open than it already is. Of course, I'll gladly accept one should someone decide to give me one.

No comments: