Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Absorbing Like A Sponge

We've spent a significant amount of the last couple of days (all day today, in fact) listening in on calls. There have been a couple of inbound calls but many of them are follow-up calls. With the products we support, the calls often last several hours. It's not that the problems are that complicated, the processes that our products handle are time consuming and I've spent a lot of time lately "watching the grass grow." It's really not as bad as it sounds.

I learned a new acronym today that I will probably use in the future. I don't know what was going on but I overheard a heated "discussion" between a couple of employees (it's a big building). I related it to one in our group and he said it sounded like an RPE. When I inquired what RPE was, he said, "It was a resume producing event." I think I've witnessed or had a couple of those in my life.

The worst part of it so far is the early mornings and the driving and they're not so bad. I've actually learned quite a bit over the past couple of days. Last week gave me some sort of framework to hang things on. I'm starting to put the edge pieces of the puzzle together along with a couple of those discoveries where you find two or three pieces that fit together but you have no idea what part of the picture they belong to.

No comments: