Friday, November 09, 2007

First Week Down

I've finished my first week at the new job. Most of it has been spent training. The rest has been spent catching up with old friends who work there as well (some of whom I didn't know were there), listening to war stories, and listening to everyone try to convince me that this job will be easy. I have no reason to doubt them and I'm not worried.

Getting up at 5:30 in the morning has been a chore this week but I'm starting to get used to it. It takes me about an hour each way to get to and from work. I'm not one much for driving but I'm even getting used to that. I finally have a chance to regularly listen to some of those podcasts I subscribe to.

We made it safely back from Boise. Having made that drive three times previously, I was able to split it up just right so we made good pushes but didn't push too hard. We were actually not completely worn out when we arrived.

Side note: Not knowing hardly anyone in Boise, I decided to pay someone to help pack the truck. I knew we'd have plenty of help on the receiving end but I knew I would not pack the U-Haul efficiently and I didn't want to risk hurting myself. When I booked the truck, I hired a local moving company through e-Move to help load. It cost me $210 for three guys to work for five hours and it was worth EVERY PENNY. The truck was PACKED and only one item (a small computer desk I bought at a thrift store) didn't make it back.

My brother was a HUGE help driving the truck and my Mother-in-law even came up to help clean out the duplex and be an extra driver. On this end, my sister drove down from KC (partly to help and partly to take my brother home) and my brother-in-law brought his kids up from Oklahoma city. With all the cheap labor, we had the truck unpacked in around three hours.

I had a week before starting the new job so we spent some time getting the essentials unpacked. We unloaded clothes, food, a few pots and pans, and the televisions. The house is still full of boxes but 99% of them are at least in the room where they belong. We're slowly getting the rest of them unpacked. It's humorous, though, because almost every room has two or three half-empty, open boxes lying about.

No comments: