Friday, June 06, 2008

Trek Expo Letdown

My annual pilgrimage has come around once again. The event that is Trek Expo. It is something I look forward to with great anticipation. The ability to see TV and movie start up close, hear them talk about their experiences and get an autograph or maybe even a picture is too much to resist. Through these events I have met or seen the likes of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, James Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, Jeremy Bulloch, Bruce Boxleitner, Kevin Sorbo, Walter Koenig ... the list goes on. It's an exciting time for me.

Because we moved to Boise, I missed any chance at a convention last year. We were actually driving through Denver, CO on the opening day of StarFest, another convention, but couldn't afford the time (or money) to stop. I have been following the buildup to this years Trek Expo and had started to get excited about it. They promoted Adam Baldwin, Nichelle Nichols, Dean Stockwell, Wil Wheaton, the guy who plays Silar on Heroes and the lady who played Admiral Kane on BSG. I was kinda pumped. Then Silar and Kane cancelled. This was a fairly early cancellation. Disappointing but not devastating.

As May ended, I went back to the site and double-checked the dates. I also double-checked the ticket prices and almost fainted. I am used to $20-$30 for general admission for the whole weekend. The price this year jumped to $50 for the whole weekend or $20/day for Sat or Sun. Can you say wet blanket? No matter, the chance to meet Adam Baldwin and Dean Stockwell as well as see Wil Wheaton again would be worth it.

Today is opening day. I just checked the web site and Stockwell and Wheaton have cancelled. That means four out of the 5 people I really wanted to see have cancelled. In addition, the hosts have not back-filled the schedule so there are no substitutes coming (not that they've noted, at least).

They have nobody coming from any currently-airing shows or recent movies (unless you count Chuck on NBC). They have nobody from any recent shows such as Stargate. The people they do have, with the exception of Baldwin and Nichols, are all supporting actors/actresses or not big headliners. I don't have anything against these people and I actually enjoy seeing/listening to them but they're not who I go to see.

I am seriously reconsidering my resolve to attend at all this year. I will probably make an appearance tomorrow just so I can see Adam Baldwin and meet up with my friend Greg. I will most likely not attend Supper with the Stars as I have the past 4 or 5 years and I'm almost certain that I will save my gas, save the price of admission and skip Sunday altogether.

Sorry Starbase 21. You've collapsed the field on my warp drive.

1 comment:

Marshall Dunn's Satire Emporium said...

I just dropped in from the future. You're EALLY gonna be disappointed come 2013, Bubba!