Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Resolution Revolution


As we say goodbye to 2008 and, frankly, move on with our lives, many of us pledge to do good things for ourselves and others in the form of resolutions. We resolve to lose weight (I think that's #1), stop smoking, be kind to co-workers, stop kicking kittens, whatever. Invariably, many of these resolutions will be broken (some before the clock strikes 12:01) because the people making them lack... well... resolve.

If you are one of those who can make those broad promises and stick to them, I applaud you. Generally, I do not make resolutions because there's no point. Making resolutions just because you're supposed to make resolutions is like the old, "God, if you get me out of this I promise I will..." prayers. Only once have I actually made a resolution and, for the most part, I was able to stick to it. Why? Because I did it for me and not because I felt I had to satisfy someone else. It took a couple of years for that resolution to become moot (can you guess what it was?).

I have been thinking the past couple of days about any resolutions I might want to make this year (I rarely do it but I often think about it). The past three years have been a maelstrom of disappointments, changes, failures, mistakes and regrets. (There have been many bright spots but happy things just don't go in the same sentence with maelstrom.) "I'm on a ride and I want to get off but they won't slow down the roundabout..." [The Reflex, Duran Duran] I finally feel that life has settled in (please, God, don't prove me wrong) and I am truly where I am supposed to be. I have come full circle in some ways and I am home. (That does not mean, however, that I intend to sit still.)

I have wondered to what purpose was I sent on this journey? The conclusions I have come to - that will inevitably change - have driven me to take a lot less for granted than I used to. With that in mind, I came up with a few resolutions that I think I can stick to.
  1. I promise that I will listen more
  2. I promise that I will tell the people that I love that I love them and I will do it often
  3. I promise that I will appreciate the opportunities that are afforded me
  4. I promise that I will thank God more
It's very difficult to put what I am feeling into words and resolutions but suffice it to say I plan to be a better me.

May the new year bring you and yours prosperity, love and happiness.

No comments: