Thursday, April 02, 2009

What I Learned Today

I needed to reboot my primary computer this evening. When I did, I noticed, for the first time, that the motherboard reported 'MCH is operating in single channel mode.' That's not exactly it because it included something else that clued me in that it was talking about my system RAM.

My system currently has 2 gigabytes of DDR2 (DDR = Dual Data Rate) RAM. The whole thing about modern RAM is that it can operate in dual channel mode (basically, the computer talks to two different memory modules simultaneously). Apparently, mine wasn't doing that.

I quickly googled 'MCH single channel' and discovered that the RAM modules have to be on different channels. So, I shut down my computer, moved one of the modules over one slot so that they were now in slots 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 2 and fired her back up. Guess what, the MCH was now in dual channel interlace mode.

What did I gain from that? Apparently not much. At least not that I've noticed yet. My boot time still sucks. But it's sucking in dual channel mode now.

No comments: