Saturday, May 09, 2009

FINALLY!

When I came home with the Wii, the wife was none too happy. See, her mother had thought that we were both interested in having one for the health benefits. She had it wrong. I wanted a Wii, the wife specifically didn't want one. Whoops. I thought she'd expressed an interest as well.

For years I have wished the wife was into video games so we could play things like Starcraft or other multiplayer games together. She won't go near them. She doesn't mind certain types of games. She bought a Nintendo DS and Brain Age just to play Brain Age. Since then, she's gotten Big Brain Academy, Brain Age 2, and Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? See a pattern? No aiming or button trickery involved.

The day I hooked up the Wii, I prompted her to give it a try. I was feeling guilty because it was purchased as a birthday present for me and an anniversary present for us. If she wasn't going to ever use it, that meant it was a really expensive gift for me and she got gipped. She refused. And it was one of those refusals where husbands can tell that "no" means "Not a chance in hell I'm letting you off the hook that easy."

As the week has progressed, I noticed her warming up to the idea. On Monday, my birthday, she gave me some cash to go buy some games so I wouldn't be stuck with just Wii Fit and Wii Sports. When we went shopping, she was taking an interest in the games and what was available. I only bought one (the jury is still out on whether or not I like it) so I still had some money left.

Fast forward to tonight. We went to Wal-Mart on advice of a friend who said they often have a selection of Wii games for $10. I bought Monster 4x4 and Rayman Raving Rabbids (you can throw COWS!). Neither is on the $10 rack but Rayman came highly recommended and Monster 4x4 came with a steering wheel. Later, we went to the other WM in town and looked to see what their $10 selection was. As we were wandering around, the wife asked me, "aren't those games you just bought multi player?"

"Yes, I believe they are."

"Why don't we get an extra controller so we can play together because I don't think I would play by myself."

We came home and played Monster 4x4 a while (she actually started to get the hang of it... and I was getting worse for some reason) and we just finished our third game of Wii Bowling.

Thanks, mom-in-law, we finally got her hooked.

No comments: