Tuesday, March 16, 2010

No Reason Left Not To

I have an upgrade date coming up. Just yesterday I was looking at available phones and noticed a certain lack of Windows Mobile devices. Most of what I found were iPhones, Blackberries and Android devices. Sad, really, because I have liked the Windows Mobile platform (until recently when it became very stale and clunky very quickly).

I am bolstered by what I've learned about the latest incarnation, Windows Phone 7 but, presently, it can't be had on any device on any carrier. I think it's just too late in coming. But that's just the beginning.

I just heard that Microsoft acknowledged that it too will restrict all installs on Windows Phone exclusively to a Microsoft managed store. They will be more transparent than Apple on the front end and will allow corporate deployments but it's still restricting installations.

Half the reason I like the WM platform is the flexibility and customization. I can load whatever the hell I want on my phone. It's my own damn fault if I brick it. Now, that's gone. I might as well get an iPhone. Apple just does it better.

No comments: