Friday, December 10, 2004

Achin' Christmas

I like Christmas carols. While I do have my favorite versions of some of the classics (i.e. Nat "King" Cole's Christmas Song, Evergence's Carol of the Bells, etc.) it usually doesn't matter who's performing them. I like Santa Clause is Coming to Town whether it's performed by Vince Gill or Bruce Springsteen. The Most wonderful Time of the Year gets me going whether it's Amy Grant or Johnny Mathis on the mic.

Why is it, though, that America seems to think Clay Aiken can sing?

Mind you, I'm not saying I can do a better job and I don't have a desire to try but please put him out of our misery. The boy tries too hard. His version of Joy to the World goes straight through my skull. It sounds like he is straining his voice so much that it may crack at any minute. It's so annoying to me that it's only about half an octive below me wanting to shove an ice pick into my ear because it would feel better.

I don't care if the guy did win America Idol, he's not good enough to deserve his own holiday telelvision special - not yet at least. He's not pretty enough either. I mean, you could drive a pickup truck into those nostrils and someone needs to show him the propper use of a comb. Plus, he could stand to eat a few high-carb meals and put some meat on them bones; know what I mean?

No comments: