Sunday, March 25, 2007

Progress?

Good morning, friends. Just dropping in to tell you I'm still alive.

The packing is well underway, thankfullly, since we hit the road in ten days. My sister and brother came down from KC yesterday and were a HUGE help. My brother and I reorganized the garage (and packed a little bit) so the collapsed boxes are in one pile (they had been scattered throughout the front of the garage) and the garage sale fodder is in one area while the stuff we're moving is in another.

My sister was AMAZING. She packed up most of the kitchen yesterday. She must have packed a dozen boxes or more by herself. They're leaving at noon today so I think the plan is to re-rearrange the garage to be able to move the sectional out there (we're selling it - the cats won't be happy) and start staging all of the stuff we're moving in the living room.

In case you didn't catch it two paragraphs ago, we're having a ginormous moving sale. We are getting rid of a lot of large items (piano, sectional, large entertainment center) and several items we've been hanging onto for way too long (there will be some computer parts and equipment from my junkpile office). Of course, we're also generating a lot of trash.

My point is that if you're anywhere near the Stillwater area, come by - you won't be disappointed. The sale is Friday March 30 from 4p-6p and Saturdar March 31 from 7a-2p. Head to 19th and Western and follow the signs.

I hope we pull this off. We don't have a residence in Boise secured yet but we hope to have that done by Monday or Tuesday. We have a place picked out and the application is in the mail but we've got to get all the eyes crossed, teas dotted and deposits made. We also haven't figured out transportation logistics yet. We have our route planned and have reserved hotels along the way that are pet friendly but we don't yet have a method of getting all of our stuff from point a to the as yet unassigned point b.

We first checked into a you load/unload, we drive it service. That was going to be $3,000 to $4,000. Hiring a moving company on the cheap is $4,000 to $6,000. Hiring a moving company that would bill my wife's new employer (we're getting up to $4,000 in moving expenses) is over $10,000 (before discounts, but still). It looks like U-Haul wins with about $1,250 for a 26' truck and a car trailer - although the wife would prefer not to go that way. I don't know what her reasons are but I tend to agree with her. Of course, we can arrange for assistance with loading and unloading through emove. We'll probably just do that on the far end since we can (hopefully) conscript friends and associates on this end.

I've rambled on enough. I've got a house to pack.

No comments: